Saturday, December 19, 2009

Day #9: Friday

Today we wanted to go do some exploring to the underground caves...supposedly one of the largest systems anywhere.  We got up and moving early, and I miraculously found the caves easily despite poorly marked streets...only to find that it was closed!  Luckily, it was a beautiful drive through a lush tropical forest, so we weren't too disappointed.

The kids were anxious to see Daddy again and swim at the hotel pool, so we headed back to San Juan for the weekend.  Again, I miraculously made it back to San Juan w/o any unplanned "scenic detours".  The traffic, construction, etc. weren't nearly as bad as the first trip, so we made it in just a few hours. YEAH!!!

The pool was considerably busier than it was last week and I'm sure that trend as we get closer to Christmas and New Year's.  The kids decided it wasn't quite warm enough to spend much time in the pool...so they opted for the jacuzzi!

Tonight we headed to the Ward Christmas Party. Being at that party confirmed my theory that everyone in Puerto Rico plays some sort of musical instrument or is in some sort of a band.  Everywhere we go there is music.  At Noall's Christmas party there were two different bands made up different employees at his hotel.  So, tonight was no different. - lots of music!


Emma was making lots of new friends - everyone loved her! 
I noticed that there were several elderly people being taken care of by spouses/family.  The woman sitting with us was being fed by her husband - it was very sweet.  
They served lechon ("pig on a stick") and arroz con gandules (yellow rice w/peas) which are some of the most traditional Christmas foods here (I've had them three times already). 
 

The ward was nice enough to provide presents from Santa for our kids...Emma was definitely suspicious of anyone dressed like that! 











Alex was terrified - he wouldn't let go of me...He did like his gift, though!



Zach and Camilla took it all in stride - and, of course, getting gifts was their favorite part of the party.  Actually, Camilla also really enjoyed all the singing and kept asking for a hymn book or copy of the words so she could sing along.  And I especially loved the passion fruit juice- it's served everywhere and I love it (ALMOST as much as I love the pina coladas...which Noall apparently has access to...)!

3 comments:

Bethany said...

What a nice ward party! I hope you are getting the recipes and want to make them for your friends when you get home. (Just like the pasole you used to make us after Mexico!!) :<)
Even more impressed that you are DRIVING around this foreign country!!

Katelin said...

You are being so great at updating your daily adventures...THANK you for that. We love catching up. Looks like you guys are having a blast.

Willy Hogan said...

We sure miss you! Jack really misses Alex!