Friday, September 5, 2008

Wheat, sprouts and beans...

Feel free to laugh at me, but I really enjoy eating healthy...the healthier the better. I usually don't even care if it tastes that great, because it just "feels" so good and fresh when I eat it. It's like my body is saying, "Thank you, thank you!" after each bite...and now that I'm eating better, I've started losing my "Emma" weight (I still have a ways to go, but at least I'm moving in the right direction!). The other people in my household (i.e. my husband) aren't the best influences on me, so I don't always eat how I would like to...my hubby has higher taste standards when it comes to his food, so I am always trying to balance his taste buds and my need for nutrition and creativity in the kitchen. Does anyone have any really great ideas???
Anyways, here's a peek into my crazy kitchen: This week I cooked wheat berries and beans on Monday that I could add to my meals during the week (eggs, soft tacos, salads, etc), I sprouted wheat for some flax seed muffins, I sprouted soy beans and mung beans for stir fry, and tried out my traditional chocolate chip cookie recipe with whole wheat flour, wheat berries, and raisins. I have to say that Alex has eaten everything I've made this week for lunch...it's been fun to have an "eating buddy". And the older kids (and their friends) ate the cookies and muffins, so they can't be all that bad, right? Does anyone else LOVE experimenting with food and nutrition ideas? Or am I just crazy? I can accept crazy...

5 comments:

Penny said...

Way to go on your awesome eating habits! I still am trying to lose my Zachary weight and he is 19 months old...if I didn't have such a sweet tooth it would be a lot easier. Anyway, I love the "Vegetarian family cookbook" by Nava Atlas. We aren't vegetarian, but it has a lot of really great recipes and commentary on how to fix healthy things the whole family likes. I especially like the recipes for biscuits, granola, and muffins.

Hartleys said...

Don't love it but don't have near the motivation you do either! However I did get that "Deceptively Delicious" cookbook last Christmas and have used a few recipes from it and they are actually pretty good. It's mainly vegetables, though, so no ideas about new recipes using whole grains, etc.

Still perfecting tortillas made with a cup of shortening, so...... :)

Hartleys said...

Just re-read my comment and "motivation" was the wrong word. You have much more SELF-CONTROL than I do with your eating habits - I definitely have much more baby weight to lose and therefore should have more motivation. Yet somehow I don't......hmmmm.......

Anyway, just wanted to clarify! Ha.

The Allreds said...

Wish I had your ambition!! I just got home from a "meeting" I was supposed to attend (so said my Bishop) and then found the mtg. full of MEN. SOooo, I came home feeling sorry for myself and wanted a choc. chip cookie, but all I found was oatmeal. It did hit the spot and I should rejoice...I just got OUT of a mtg. : )

The Allreds said...

the hungry girl sends out daily ( I think) ideas and recipes...my mom emails them to me occasionally! I bet you could find it by googling "hungry girl." I think you'd like it. You do have to hunt for some of the ingredients she uses! WalMart doesn't always carry "those" products!