Thursday, November 13, 2008

An Ode to Noall



Over the past weeks, Noall and I had several conversations about what I wanted for my birthday. After giving it some thought I decided that what I wanted most of all was time: time with him, time with my kids, time to get organized, time to work on some projects (you catch my drift). So he took two days off work to grant me my birthday wish. We spent the first day moving around furniture to free up some space in my bedroom which facilitated me being able to organize my closet!!! All day long Noall would come to me and say, "OK, what's next? What can I do for you?". It was so wonderful!!! The next morning, a good friend came over to watch the kids while Noall took me out surfing...SO FUN!!! After a couple of hours I could finally get my feet under me on the board, but the waves were crashing so fast that I never actually stood up. However, I totally lost my fear of diving under the waves, only got smacked in the face once by the surfboard, only got drug along the bottom of the ocean floor a couple of times...so I considered it a pretty successful attempt! It was just so fun to hang out with Noall at the beach! We ran a couple of errands (to facilitate finishing projects and getting ready for his sister's wedding) and had lunch together (my sweet friend watched the kids until 5 PM). Then Noall made me a carrot cake (from scratch) and maple walnut ice cream (from scratch) which we shared with our neighbors. He even cleaned up afterwards!!! Then the kids gave me some presents and it was off to bed for them. The last even of the evening was Noall showing me a KitchenAid he bought me off craigslist...I have wanted one since we got married!!!!! Could I ask for a more perfect birthday or a more perfect husband?!?!?! I totally adore him and can't begin to express how grateful I am for him...I can't imagine life without him. There is a quote from a book I'm reading that describes him exactly, "The proof of love is not that your husband can read your mind but that you have clearly expressed a desire, he is willing to try to please you to the best of his abilities."
He's not just a great husband, he's a great daddy...I spoke in church last Sunday and he simultaneously swaddled the baby and got her to sleep, entertained Alex, and helped Camilla and Zach with their quiet activities. I'm pretty spoiled...I know!

9 comments:

Bethany said...

I think Noall is awesome too! It's so nice to know that he's taking care of my wonderful friend!! Happy Birthday to you! Glad your day was wonderful - you deserve it!!

Penny said...

Happy Birthday Emily! So glad you had such a wonderful couple of days!

Hartleys said...

Wow, what a great guy!!!! :) I love my brother. And you! Sounds like a great way to spend a couple of days. And the surprise was just icing on the cake! Like I said, can't WAIT to see you! P.S. Let me know your favorite things to do in the Kitchenaid, would love to try some new things!

Erika said...

You've sure got a great guy!
That carrot cake was amazing. Delicious!
I think I'm going to hire Zack for our next zesting project :-)

The Allreds said...

My first thought was wow...he stuck with it. Usually you get help and it may last til lunch time, but 2 whole days. Applause, applause - that is amazing! I'm sure you want a repeat b'day next year : )

Liz said...

Happy Birthday! What a great present from Noall to take some days off work just for you! Ben did this for me for my birthday last March, and it was great!! I loved it!

Malissa said...

glad you had a wonderful birthday!!XOXO

Amy Coons said...

THAT was a great birthday, or shall I say TWO birthdays. I too am impressed with it lasting for 2 whole days!! I can only imagine how revitalized you feel! Wow Noall!

jennis said...

Great job Noall!! And I have to say that you totally deserve it, Em! Happy birthday!