Thursday, August 19, 2010

I've come a long way...


A few years ago I got my 1st sewing machine...I was afraid to actually use it because I honestly didn't think I would be able to figure out how to thread it. I eventually overcame that fear by taking it to a friend's house so that she could point out all the little numbers on the sewing machine that showed me exactly where/how to thread it.
That's when I entered the world of cape-making, receiving blanket sewing, and hooded towel making. But nothing prepared me for making my first real quilt...Zach asked for a "comforter" when he was baptized. Half-way through the project I convinced myself that I actually hated sewing and that I would never try making a quilt again...until I made my binding. There are some GREAT youtube videos on how to make quilt binding and how to finish a quilt. It was extremely empowering to make my own binding and finish the quilt...and NOW IT'S DONE!!! YEAH!!! This isn't a great picture of the blanket itself, but it shows Zach's cute face which is even better!

5 comments:

The Allreds said...

I'm proud of you...looks like a GREAT quilt. What a lucky son!

The Three Beauties said...

Yeah!!!! It looks great and even better Zachary looks like he LOVES it!!

Erika said...

Love it! So awesome!!! xxoo good job mom!

Flash Jorgensen said...

Congrats!!! I haven't had the courage to take on a quilt yet. I go over to the "quilt shop" all the time and drool over the one's on display. I am sometimes tempted to buy the kit, but am too afraid to take on such a project. I keep telling myself, "maybe when the kids are all in school..." I have lots of projects that get that kind of answer. So way to go! Way to take on such a task and finish it!!! I'm impressed!

Rehberg Family said...

Yeah! I have a machine and am still figuring it out so kudos to you for being so brave and taking on projects. The quilt looks beautiful :)