Where to start? I guess I'll let the pictures tell the story. We've been prepping Alex for quite a while about his surgery (cleaning out diseased tissue in his eardrum w/reconstruction of the eardrum in a year or so). So he was actually kind of excited because he knew his ear was going to get better, friends and family were going to bring him cards and he even had some packages. So, this would be the, "Look at me...I'm big and brave! This won't be so bad!" picture.
He got all ready for his surgery with Daddy. He's showing off some of his new "toys". I literally got there just in time to give him a big squeeze, tell him I loved him, and watch them wheel him away. He was still pretty optimistic about everything and cheerfully waved as he left. During our last minute chat with the doctor he explained that instead of this being an outpatient procedure, that Alex would need to stay overnight and be discharged in the morning (looking back I am really glad we stayed, bur it required a bit of scrambling again to figure out babysitting for the other kids).
The good news: the procedure took just over four hours and seems to be a success. Next year, the doctor will go back in and make sure there hasn't been any regrowth, but he's very optimistic.
More good news: his thumb was able to poke through all the bandages so he could soothe himself back to sleep after some more narcotics!
The bad news: Alex wasn't quite as excited after the procedure as he was before...but he still tried REALLY
HARD to be happy!
I mean...seriously...look at that face!!! Poor little guy! He spent most of yesterday fairly miserable...I'll spare you the details! But there were moments that were better than others. Like:
Polishing off some strawberry jello with Daddy.
Riding around in the playroom...it's only so much fun with an IV...
Taking pictures of mommy.
Watching "Little Einsteins", "Chicken Little", "Wall-E", "Brother Bear", etc. etc.
Can you tell he couldn't keep anything down yesterday? He had quite the appetite this morning! After breakfast this morning, we got to go home!!!!!
3 comments:
Thanks for the pics. I'm glad your friend was there to take the kids at the last minute so you could be there for Alex!!
We were in the hospital for a month when Elianna was 18 months old, we didn't plan for her almost dying with a pneumonia, we had to have surgery on her lung on Chrismtas day. I feel your pain and anguish, I am so glad it went well, what a trooper!
Poor kid! My sister in law just got this same surgery in January and will follow up later this year. I hope Alex is feeling better!
Post a Comment