Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Jackpot!

My confession for the evening: I have an ongoing dilemma with feeding my family dinner.  Breakfast and lunch seem to be a breeze, but finding dinners that are inexpensive, healthy, and that everyone likes (my goal is actually only 4 out of 6 people) is an impossible task it seems at times.  Every week I sit down to meal plan and brainstorm things to try.  I start the week convinced that I will meet smiles and "thank yous" at the dinner table...and by the end of the week...well, you can guess.

Tonight, however, I hit the jackpot!  Do you want to know what it was???  Drumroll, please...chicken and rice soup.  I know...it's not that exciting, but everyone had seconds (even the babies - I was watching a friend's little boy) and Zach asked to bring it to school for lunch tomorrow.  Zach is my PICKIEST eater by far...he only likes food that comes from a can, bag, or anything other type of packaging.  His problem is that I like to make things from scratch (that helps with the healthy and frugal part).  So my goal tonight was to replicate Healthy Choice's version of chicken and rice soup which Zach loves...and it worked!  Since when did home-cooking try to copy the canned stuff?????  Oh well, I took it as a compliment that I was told over and over again, "Mom, this tastes just like Healthy Choice! Thank you!"  and no one believed it had onions.  I can go to bed a happy momma!

 
Disclaimer: This is not actually my soup, but it looks good enough to be Healthy Choice, too!

5 comments:

Malissa said...

Horray!! Doesn't it feel great when they appreciate (by eating) all the 'love' you put into their food!

The Allreds said...

too funny...looks like you found a recipe to make WEEKLY : ) !?!?
my kids beg for McD and I told them they should be grateful for a mom that COOKS for them...they'll appreciate it later in life, I'm sure of it : )
keep up the cooking fun!

Katelin said...

OOOHHH!! Yummy. You will have to e-mail me the recipe

Receli said...

Awesome! What a compliment!

The Three Beauties said...

Are you going to post the receipe? I hate when you make something and everyone decides they don't like it before it is even on the table. Great job getting Zack to ask for leftovers even!